The Aussies are Coming!

Some of the most fun I had at the World Fantasy Convention a few years ago involved hanging out with various Australians. They all stood on their heads to adjust to the gravity here, and I just found that tremendously endearing.

A bunch of Aussies are coming to New York City this weekend and then continuing on eventually to the World Fantasy Convention in Saratoga, NY. Alas, I'm not going to be able to be there this year (too many work obligations), nor am I going to be able to go to the event at the Australian Consolate to welcome Australian SF writers to the U.S. because it's at nearly the same time at the Interfictions reading at McNally Robinson, alas. (Yes, I said alas at the beginning and end of that sentence. Because I feel much alasness.) But I'm hoping to at least make a brief appearance at the Books of Wonder event on Saturday from 3-5, where Garth Nix, Justine Larbalestier, Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan and Jonathan Strahan will be collectively and individually wondrous. (And Deborah Biancotti is threatening to teach me how to stand on my head so that when, eventually, I visit her homeland, I will be prepared.)

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders