Sorry -- I guess the Evil Monkey movie awoke some deeply buried reserve of hostility in me...
- Alex Ross on composer Gyorgi Ligeti
- Classic Film Preview on the great Renoir films Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game (easily in my top 5, along with 20 other movies).
- The University of Nebraska Press has a blog.
- Andy Duncan has a blog.
- NYRB: Tim Parks on Beckett, remembering Beckett, and after Beckett.
- Edmund White on "The New Gay Fiction".
- The Miami Herald discovers Borges.
- Ron Silliman on rejecting genres.
- Scott Esposito on Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano. (I read the book some years back while staying in Cuernavaca, Mexico, where it is set, for a summer. Reading it there enhanced the effect of the book in some weird way, because though I have an intense memory of finding it powerful and bizarre and compelling, I have very little memory of any specific scenes. Maybe it just creates the effect of being an alcoholic on people who are not alcoholics...)