05 November 2007

Strange Horizons, WFC, Etc.

The latest issue of Strange Horizons has been posted and includes a column in which I blather on a bit and then recommend some literary journals that adventurous readers might enjoy.

While I'm here, I'd like to offer congratulations to the World Fantasy Award winners for this year -- especially to such friends, supporters, and critics of The Mumpsimus as Mary Rickert, Jeff Ford, and Ellen Datlow.

I was not at the World Fantasy Convention, for various reasons, but I had a little mini-convention all of my own. Friday's highlight was a panel on laundry. On Saturday, I participated in a kaffeeklatch with a writer I admire, Richard Larson, then continued on with him to see the associational (because its title invokes a fantastic creature) movie Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, which he liked overall a bit more than I did, but which I nonetheless thought was certainly worth seeing. And then on Sunday, to finish it all up, I moderated a special session of the SATs, which was similar to the World Fantasy Awards banquet, I'm sure, except quieter and without any joy or happiness.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you mentioned Tin House, because I picked up a slew of them at a library sale in Florida for 50 cents apiece and risked both hernia and overweight charges to lug them back to Germany, then was so delighted with the journal that I may be forced to subscribe. And one issue included Jo Ann Beard's terrific Undertaker, Please Drive Slow!

    Altogether an excellent list, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that your SAT-moderating experience was "similar" to a banquet! That is significantly more festive than you were expecting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Matt--I'll be seeing you later this month--sorry you didn't make it to WFC -it was a good convention.

    The banquet food at WFC was pretty awful so that you did not miss!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete