Trayvon Martin (1995-2012)
A black boy was shot dead in Florida.
His killer is known, but the police refused to arrest him.
The police said they had no probable cause to arrest the killer, who claimed self-defense.
The killer was a Neighborhood Watch volunteer. He saw a black boy walking in the rain. He called 911. The dispatcher told him not to follow the boy. But he did. He approached him. They wrestled. Witnesses called 911.
Trayvon Martin was armed with a bag of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea.
A black boy was shot dead in Florida. His killer walks free.
- The Trayvon Martin Killing, Explained (by Adam Weinstein, Mother Jones)
- What Everyone Should Know About Trayvon Martin (by Jud Legum, ThinkProgress)
- Coverage at The Atlantic. See in particular the posts by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Re-Nigging on the Promises: #Justice4Trayvon (The Crunk Feminist Collective)
- UPDATE: U.S. Department of Justice, FBI and FDLE to probe Trayvon Martin killing