So Long Been Dreaming Review

I have a review of So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction & Fantasy up at SF Site. It's not the sort of review I particularly enjoy writing, because it's a negative judgment of a book I'd had high hopes for. I did think Vandana Singh's story "Delhi" was remarkable, and I hope it will appear in a Best of the Year collection or two so that it gets wider circulation. I also liked a lot of Greg van Eekhout's "Native Aliens" -- though I didn't think it was entirely successful, what worked worked really well.

As I reread the review (which was written in September, I think, so I'd forgotten most of what I'd said), I wondered how other people had responded to the book, because in many ways I think it's the sort of anthology that deserves reviews from a variety of readers. Most reviewers would probably have good things to say about the Singh and van Eekhout stories, but would contradict each other on the rest.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders