Third Bear Carnival
In honor of the publication of Jeff VanderMeer's new short story collection, The Third Bear, I've asked a group of writers to read a couple of stories each and create some sort of response over the next few weeks. Some of those responses will be analyses of the story, others will be personal essays, at least one will be a work of visual art, and, who knows, some folks might be inspired to create stories of their own, or poems, or movies, or stained glass windows. I've given them no limits or guidelines other than it has to be something they can either post to their own blog or I can post for them here.
I will keep updating this post with links to each entry in what I'm calling the Third Bear Carnival. If you happen to have a copy of the book, or even just of some of the stories in the book, feel free to create something of your own and link to it in the comments to this post (I'll add relevant links to the main set whenever I have the chance).
Many of the writers just received the book last week, so the Carnival is likely to be slow to start, but once we get going, I think some marvelous things will appear...
- "The Third Bear" [Hal Duncan]
- "The Third Bear" [Eric Schaller]
- "The Quickening" and "Lost" [Larry Nolen]
- "The Quickening" [Matthew Cheney]
- "Finding Sonoria" and "Three Days in a Border Town" [David A. Beronä]
- "Lost" [Paul Charles Smith]
- "The Situation" [Deborah Biancotti]
- "Fixing Hanover" and "Appogiatura" [Rachel Swirsky]
- "Shark God vs. Octopus God" [Eric Schaller]
- "The Goat Variations" and "Three Days in a Border Town" [Brian Francis Slattery]
- "The Surgeon's Tale" and "Three Days in a Border Town" [Micaela Morrissette]
- "The Magician" [Matthew Cheney]
- What's up with the animals? [Paul Jessup]
- Finale: VanderMeer Stories: A Personal Reminiscence [Ann VanderMeer]