My latest column has been posted at Strange Horizons: "Old, Weird". I probably should have included links to some songs and materials discussed in it, so here are a few to get you started...
- Some of Greil Marcus's The Old, Weird America can be read at Google Books.
- The Wikipedia page on The Anthology of American Folk Music has some good info and links.
- At the Folkways site, you can hear clips from each track of Harry Smith's Anthology and also download the marvelous liner notes as a PDF.
- You can read some parts of When We Were Good: The Folk Revival on Google Books.
- I wrote a bit about Todd Haynes's I'm Not There when it first came out.
- Tim Lucas posted some interesting quotes about Dylan's song "I'm Not There (1956)" at Video Watchblog (the link to an mp3 of the song still works, at least as of this minute).
- You can hear Henry Thomas's sublime "Honey, Won't You Allow Me One More Chance" on YouTube.
- Some of Charley Patton's recordings are available at The Internet Archive.
- Finally, an interview I did with Brian Francis Slattery just before Liberation was released.