Upcoming Publications


I haven't published a lot over the last few years, not from lack of writing, but, as I noted in June, more from working on longer projects. Thus, I'm pleased to be able to note here some upcoming publications.

The biggest is my book Modernist Crisis and the Pedagogy of Form: Woolf, Delany, and Coetzee at the Limits of Fiction. The (expensive) hardcover will be out in January, and a (less expensive) paperback will follow about a year later. I certainly wish that Bloomsbury did like other academic publishers and released the hardcover and paperback at the same time (and/or provided an inexpensive ebook), but so it goes. It will be available at academic libraries, and interlibrary loan is a godsend. (I expect my next academic book will be open access and openly licensed.)

I also have two new stories coming out this fall:
  • "A Liberation" in Conjunctions 73: Earth Elegies. This will be my second story in the print edition of Conjunctions (and I've had two stories on Web Conjunctions), a great honor, because Conjunctions is the literary journal I've read and loved the longest. Many of the writers I most care about have appeared in its pages, and its longstanding genre-bending has influenced me more than I probably even know. "A Liberation" one of the weirdest things I've ever written, a story about a distant place at the edge of the world where permafrost is melting and cities have begun to sink.
  • "After the End of the End of the World" in Outlook Springs issue 6. I was lucky enough to have a short-short story ("The Box") in the premiere issue of Outlook Springs, and it's a thrill to return with a longer story. It's partly an essay about the novel I never could figure out how to write, but all the iterations of the novel are here condensed into a single story full of branching possibilities. It's a story of domestic terrorism, gun fetishism, and global warming. I wish it were more fictional.
 Additionally, I have some academic writing on the horizon:
  • "How to Write and Gertrude Stein and How to Read" is an essay in Teaching Modernist Women's Writing in English edited by Janine Utell and due to be published by the MLA sometime in 2020, I think. It's an essay about using Gertrude Stein's more difficult and abstract texts in writing classes and in literature classes to try to liberate students from preconceptions.
  • "Activism and Solidarity in the Comics of Howard Cruse" will appear in The LGBTQ Comics Studies Reader from the University of Mississippi Press, probably next summer. This is a detailed look at Howard Cruse's great Wendel comics and Stuck Rubber Baby graphic novel. (I've written about them previously, especially Stuck Rubber Baby, here.) Cruse ought to be as famous as any other creator of comics, but, sadly, he's mostly only known to a small (and aging) group of afficionados.
 There are a bunch of other things I'm working on, as well, but for now this is what's on the horizon.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders