The Last Vanishing Man Appears


May was the month when The Last Vanishing Man appeared in the world. Here's some stuff related to that, some places I've been and places I'm going...

First, I will be in Brooklyn two weeks from tonight to read and converse with my friends Franz Nicolay and Hannah Tinti. It's at the Powerhouse Arena on June 14 at 7pm. Tickets are required and available at this link, ranging in price from free general admission to buying a book.

Jeff VanderMeer interviewed me for Literary Hub. I was sure the pullquote would be, "I tend to gnaw at the same subject matter again and again until I chew off enough of myself to get out of the trap." But they went with other sentences.

Yvonne C. Garrett reviewed the book generously for Brooklyn Rail.  "Cheney’s new collection is less the 'horror!' that his publisher hypes  and more a combination of wildly post-apocalyptic brutalism and deeply sympathetic studies of people—lost or irreparably harmed by modern life  and the punishing ways masculinity is often shaped."

Daniel Braum interviewed me for his Night Time Logic column at Cemetery Dance. I think it's the longest interview I've ever done. We talk about ambiguity in stories, emotion, weirdness, magic, Robert Aickman...

The ebook version is ready and now making its way toward the purveyors of ebooks. I had a look at it yesterday and Third Man did a really nice job with it. If ebooks are your thing, go ahead and preorder it now and it will be available very soon!

Thanks to everyone who has supported the book. It's had a good entrance into the world, and I am grateful to everyone who has shared their enthusiasm for it.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders