Spaceman Blues Day

Some of the most fun I've recently had when reading a book was when I read Brian Slattery's debut novel, Spaceman Blues. And then some of the most fun I've recently had reviewing a book was when I wrote a review of Spaceman Blues.

The only disappointment in writing the review was knowing that readers would have to wait a while for the day when Spaceman Blues would be generally available (at least in the U.S.).

Well, that day has now come. Today is the official release day. It may still take a few days for every bookstore and library to have a copy, but you should pester them. Tell them you want your Spaceman Blues. Make demands. Be aggressive. Be the customer everybody hates. Get the book. I can't promise you'll love it as much as I do (my taste is a little odd, after all), but I'm betting most readers who like off-kilter stories will find it a worthwhile read.

(I keep updating this post. Sorry to people whose RSS readers have multiple copies of it.)

I almost forgot -- it's also the official release day for Okkervil River's new album, The Stage Names. Wow. One of the great days of the year.

I should also note that there will be a book release party for Spaceman Blues on Friday, August 10 at 8:30 pm. There will be music by the Mud Brothers (including Brian Slattery). It's at 10 pm at Sunny’s, 253 Conover Street, between Read and Beard Streets, Red Hook, Brooklyn. (I'm making my last trip to New Hampshire for a while later today, and will be there through the weekend, so I won't be at the party, which means it's safe for you to go.)

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders